Hospital Infections Claims Solicitors
When we are in a clinical setting, we expect to remain safe from infection in a sterilised environment.
If you developed an infection as a result of spending time in a hospital, you could be entitled to compensation. Contact us today to speak with a solicitor.
Hospital Infections Claims & Compensation
Patients in a clinical setting can reasonably expect a sterile environment safe from further harm. Unfortunately, many vulnerable patients acquire an infection as a consequence of their hospital admission. If not recognised and treated promptly they can suffer serious consequences and it could be considered clinical negligence.
Augustus Cullen Law has specialist knowledge and experience in cases involving hospital acquired infections.
What is a hospital acquired infection?
Hospital acquired infections or healthcare associated infections are defined as infections not present and without evidence of incubation at the time of admission to a healthcare setting.
Within hours after admission, a patient’s flora begins to acquire characteristics of the surrounding bacterial pool. Most infections that become clinically evident after 48 hours of hospitalisation are considered hospital-acquired. Infections that occur after the patient is discharged from the hospital can be considered healthcare-associated if the organisms were acquired during the hospital stay.
The most well known type of hospital acquired infection is MRSA. We achieved the first MRSA compensation pay-out in Irish history.
You can learn more about MRSA by reading: What is MRSA and can I claim for it?
There are a number of causes of Hospital Acquired Infections, including:
- When a patient’s bed and surrounding area have not been vacant long enough for proper cleaning due to hospital staff being under pressure to meet increasing targets, the risk of contracting such an infection is dramatically increased.
- A lengthy stay in a healthcare setting makes patients more vulnerable to infection and large wards with a stream of emergency admittances make it difficult for wards to be thoroughly cleaned.
- Improper hygienic procedures (failure to thoroughly wash hands with hand gels, failure to properly sterilise equipment, failure to wear gloves when necessary, and failure to properly clean towels and bed sheets etc.) can result in an infection.
Located in Dublin, Wexford, and Wicklow, we are a well-regarded firm specialising in hospital infection claims
Our primary goal is to assist individuals who have suffered harm due to shortcomings in the healthcare system, working tirelessly to bring about significant change for those in need. Our track record of success is a result of our unwavering dedication, pursuit of excellence and steadfast commitment to serving our clients.
Our team of A&E claims specialists is fully devoted to securing compensation for a wide range of aspects, including:
- Pain and suffering arising from the infection.
- Expenses related to professional care needs and assistive technologies.
- Ongoing medical treatment and rehabilitation.
It’s important to note that this list is not exhaustive. Our experienced solicitors, specialising in infection claims, will vigorously advocate for comprehensive compensation that covers all essential expenses, ensuring you can live and recover with comfort and independence.
Speak with an hospital infections solicitor today
If you or a loved one suffered as a result of a hospital acquired infection and need advice, Contact Us without delay.
*In contentious business, a solicitor may not calculate fees or other charges as a percentage or proportion of any award or settlement.
Submit our enquiry form and one of our expert solicitors will contact you as soon as possible.
"*" indicates required fields